* Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme/challenge for book bloggers, hosted by Lainey and Sam. The goal is for bloggers to choose their top 5 picks for the week’s given challenge, and you can find out more over on Goodreads! *
This week’s challenge is to pick your top 5 series in which the first book was good (or not), but the second book was better! In other weekly news, Destiny realized how many series she’s only read the first installment in…
1. A Court of Mist and Fury – Sarah J. Maas
If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you already probably expected this book to be in this list, but honestly, it had to go at the top because… well, to quote Shakespeare:
How is ACOMAF better than ACOTAR?
Let me count the ways.
I love thee…
Okay, seriously though, ACOTAR is a fun read, but ACOMAF is vastly superior (and is still my favorite of the series thus far, as ACOWAR was fun, but a little bit of a disappointment tbh).
2. Scarlet – Marissa Meyer
Cinder wasn’t a bad book by any means. I thought it was a fun read with a unique twist and all, and I’m pretty sure I gave it 4.5 stars?, but honestly, Scarlet was leaps and bounds better. You could really see how Marissa’s writing improved so much in such a short span of time, plus with the bulk of the world-building out of the way in Cinder, Scarlet had way more room to focus on action. (Of course, Cress was even better, but this isn’t called the T5W: 3rd Book is Best list, now, is it?)
3. Now I Rise – Kiersten White
And I Darken was great, don’t get me wrong, but Now I Rise was… magnificent. With the world-building out of the way, it was non-stop badassery, back-stabbing, action, violence, love, cuteness, sarcasm, angst, and brilliance. I honestly cannot say enough good things about this book, and how much it improved upon the first book, makes me so excited to read the final installment.
4. Gemina – Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
Illuminae is a masterpiece of epic proportions, honestly, but Gemina has Nik Malikov and his adorable cinnamon roll self, and that’s really all I feel like I have to say about this one. Also, space cows.
5. Sadly, as hard as I tried, I couldn’t pick a series for #5. Not only did I realize that I have way too many series I’ve only read the first book in, but I also realized that, of the series I have read 2+ installments of, I’m very prone to the first book being my favorite!