No, really, you guys… I’ve been nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award FOUR TIMES since the last time I did this tag. I feel so freaking flattered I could cry. I’d like to thank Amber, Romie, Lily, and Sydney for all being so incredible and nominating me! ♥ The Sunshine Blogger Award is an award you give bloggers who are creative, positive, inspiring, and, well… sunshine-y! (If it wasn’t a word before, it is now, dammit!)
Fair warning, this is really long, so if you’ve been tagged and you get tired of reading my ramblings, scroll alllll the way to the bottom for the tags and questions I’ve written for the blogs I’ve nominated!
1. thank the person(s) who nominated you and link back to their blog(s)
2. answer the 11 questions sent by the person(s) who nominated you
3. nominate 11 new blogs and write 11 questions for them
4. list the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post
1. What is your blogging origin story?
I dunno, I mean, I’ve been a bookwyrm since practically before I could construct entire sentences, or so my parents tell me. When I got back into the book community last summer, I gradually worked my way into reviewing everything I read (since I already loved talking about books I had read to anyone who would listen), and it progressed to what I have now.
2. What is your guilty pleasure movie/TV show?
I don’t really “do” guilty pleasures, honestly – I tend to feel like I’m too old and life is too short to justify caring about what anyone thinks of my taste!
3. What’s the BEST book-to-movie adaptation you’ve seen?
From books I’ve actually read, The Fault In Our Stars.
4. What do you do when you need a pick-me-up?
If it’s an option, drive around with the windows down and Walk the Moon’s “Talking Is Hard” album playing really loudly.
5. What is your favorite piece of artwork?
Sorry, I don’t have one. 😦 I’m not much of an art buff.
6. What is your favorite thing to do on a sunny day?
See answer #4.
7. Which of your 2017 reads (so far) would you recommend to anyone?
I thought really hard about this, and honestly, I don’t know! People’s tastes vary so much. If they want a romantic high fantasy, ACOMAF. A YA contemporary, How to Make a Wish or Starfish. A gory murder mystery with mild romance, Stalking Jack the Ripper. I could keep going…
8. What is your favorite mythological creature?
9. What is your opinion of puns?
All the best things in life are cheesy: pizza, nachos, and jokes.
10. How do you deal when someone you love hates one of your favorite books?
It used to bum me out, but now I tend to just shrug it off and ask them not to trash it too much while talking to me, lmao.
11. Describe your dream personal library.
Basically the Beast’s library from the cartoon.
1. Book recommendation: “If you liked this book, then you’ll like this one.”
If you liked ACOTAR/ACOMAF, you’ll like An Enchantment of Ravens.
2. Care to share an unpopular opinion?
While I really enjoyed them upon first reading them, whenever I think of either of Nicola Yoon’s novels, I cringe. I think the only thing I really enjoy about them now that the hype has died down is the awesome diverse rep, but the stories themselves are… lacking.
3. Put your phone on shuffle and find a book that matches the song you got.
“The Lion and the Wolf” by Thrice – Royal Bastards
4. If you had to use one book as a shield to protect yourself – because why not, you totally dislike the thing – which one would it be?
I guess a really heavy-duty study bible… I mean, they’re thick, they usually have tough leather covers, and I have no use for them otherwise (no offense to anyone! ♥).
5. If you could share a cup of tea – or a good mug of coffee – with a fictional character, who would it be?
Probably Ella Malikov.
6. Unhaul: list 3 books you don’t want to see anymore on your shelves.
All the Bright Places, Matched, and a pink leatherbound edition of Grimm’s Fairy Tales.
7. Share the love: list your 3 favorite booktubers and 3 favorite bookstagrammers.
I don’t really watch booktube other than PeruseProject and BooksWithEmilyFox.
8. Let’s say you have to get a book cover tattooed on your body. Which one do you end up with forever?
Probably An Enchantment of Ravens, honestly – without the title and all, people would think it’s just really pretty, cool artwork.
9. Worst and best book-to-movie adaptations?
Best: TFIOS, worst: Eragon.
10. If you could get rid of ONE character because they’re a total pain in the ass, who would you choose?
MAL. ALL DAY LONG. GET. HIM. OUT!!!
11. Choose one book for each season.
Spring: How to Make a Wish
Summer: Royal Bastards
Fall: An Enchantment of Ravens
1. Which Disney princess do you relate yourself with?
I’ve always felt like I relate most to Mulan (clumsy, goofy, and fiercely protective of her loved ones) or Belle (bookworm, sarcastic, stubborn).
2. What would the world be like if you were the leader?
First of all, a lot of people would probably consider me a fascist dictator, because I would have zero tolerance for any kind of hateful bigotry. I’d immediately outlaw groups like the KKK. I would also have much stronger punishments for abusers (of any variety), but would fully legalize all drugs (and in place of imprisonment, would funnel that money into treatment facilities for people with addictions). I’d also probably funnel a substantial amount of money and resources into renewable energy and such, and would create legitimate incentive programs for people to “go green” to make it more accessible for the lower and middle class citizens. Oh, and unicorns for everyone.
3. Top 5 pairings?
Feysand, Cress/Thorne, Harry/Hermione (STOP JUDGING ME), Kady/Ezra, and… am I allowed to list Gansey/Blue even though it hasn’t happened by the point I’m at in the series? Because I just want them to be a thing SO BADLY
4. What animal is your patronus?
Pottermore says it’s a grey squirrel!
5. OH NO! Eric Cartman came and stole your favorite dessert. What’s your favorite dessert and how would you deal with it?
My favorite dessert changes all the time, but right now it’s these lemon cakes my fiance makes, and I’d probably stab someone. With the fork that I was eating the cake with.
6. What would you do if you won a huge jackpot from the lottery?
I’m assuming “huge” means several millions or even billions of dollars, so I’m dreaming big: I’d buy (in cash for everything, obviously) a new car (nothing fancy – I really just want a Hyundai Accent) for myself, a new car for my fiance (whatever he wants – he’s not fancy either, lmao), pay off my parents’ house and IMMEDIATELY put it on the market, and buy nice (but not extravagant) homes for my family and my parents – preferably somewhere like the pacific northwest, like Washington or something. Then, I’d find the highest interest savings account I can open and dump at least 90% of the remaining funds into it. Oh, and I’d pay off all of my student loans (duh).
7. What book do you think should be a video game?
Horns by Joe Hill. It would be a short campaign, but it could be one of those games like LA Noire, where your outcome is affected by the things you say to people and such.
8. Vampires or zombies?
Zombies are more fun to read about, but if this was a real life situation, I’d rather have my neck bitten than my face gnawed off.
9. You have the power of re-animation to bring back anyone from the dead. Who would you bring back?
Can I hold on to it like a “get out of jail free” card?
10. Would you be a superhero or a supervillain?
11. Cats, dogs, both, or neither?
1. What are some of your favorite movies?
The Mummy (Brendan Fraser), Jurassic Park, Evil Dead (remake)
2. Do you watch adult cartoons? If so, what are some of your favorites?
Bob’s Burgers! ♥
3. What is a weird bookish habit you have?
Probably sitting and staring wistfully at my bookshelves.
4. How do you keep track of your thoughts when reading a book? Like for reviews and such.
If it’s really specific, I’ll write it down in a notebook, but usually I just use page tabs (or the highlight feature on my kindle, if it’s an ebook) to mark spots that triggered certain thoughts. While writing my review, I flip through the tabs and the thoughts usually come back to me.
5. Do you have bookish merch? What are some of your favorite shops? Do you use the stuff you buy?
Mostly bookmarks, but a few other miscellaneous items like book cozies, candles, prints, etc. TheCozyLifeShop on Etsy for book sleeves, Nerdygrldesigns and dreamyandco on Etsy for bookmarks, and everything else (like phone cases and coffee mugs) from society6. I use everything except the candles, which I usually can’t bring myself to burn.
6. Favorite beverage? For reading or for life?
Favorite reading beverage is hot spearmint black tea. Favorite “life” beverage is – depending on the day and my mood – either mango Venom energy drinks, vanilla chai lattes, Mountain Dew Voltage, or Glacier Freeze Gatorade.
7. What distracts you the most from reading?
My son, for sure! He’s more accommodating when I read on my kindle, but if it’s a physical book, he wants to grab it and run away.
8. Best book you read in the past three months?
An Enchantment of Ravens, maybe?
9. What are some of your favorite foods/meals?
Burritos, pizza, and grapes.
10. What are some fictional characters you wish you were friends with?
Basically the entire Inner Circle from ACOMAF.
11. What are 5 things you are grateful for?
My family, gooey cheese, chocolate, summer finally ENDING, and books.
Melanie (Mel to the Any)
Elise (The Bookish Actress)
Emma (Emma Reads Too Much)
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
Danielle (The Introverted Book Nerd)
Taylor & Missy (Frayed Books)
Fernanda (The Wanderlust Reader)
Lost Among the Pages
my questions for you:
1. Who are your top 3 favorite musical artists right now?
2. What bookish character you find to be most overrated?
3. What bookish world would you NOT want to be teleported into?
4. What character’s special power do you wish you had?
5. What was the last book to make you cry?
6. Do you prefer ARCs or finished copies, and why?
7. Shoutout 3 blogs you think more people should know about!
8. Do you follow any non-bookish blogs (makeup, movies, etc.), and if so, what kinds?
9. Do you have any phobias?
10. What is your favorite animated film?
11. Who was your biggest childhood crush?