Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly blog meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.
This week’s prompt was to pick my top ten favorite bookish quotes! I know I usually put a spin on the topic, but I really liked this one as-is. 🙂
These are in no specific order, except the last one, which is my favorite. ❤
10. “Do you think it was destiny that brought us together?” He squinted and, after a thoughtful moment, shook his head. “No. I’m pretty sure it was Cinder.” — Cress
This is probably the least serious of my favorite quotes, but it’s so cute and is a fantastic example of what I love the silly banter in this series.
9. “Let her be strong. Let her be sly. And let her be ugly.” — And I Darken
What an incredible introduction to Lada’s character, and what a poignant commentary on how much easier her life could be if she grew up without beauty.
8. “Do you ever listen to yourself? ‘This is crazy, that is crazy,’ everything is crazy to you. By whose measure?” — Her Body and Other Parties
What a fiercely feminist little collection this one is, and while it runs over with relevant and incredible quotes, this might be my favorite, as it serves a reminder that we are within our rights to feel the things we feel, and nobody deserves to shame us for them.
7. “I am frequently underestimated. I think it’s because I’m short.” — Illuminae
I know I say this all the time, but I’m telling you guys… if Kady Grant, Blue Sargent, and myself ever became a girl gang trio, the world wouldn’t know what to do with us and our angry, short selves.
6. “When a woman risks her place, her very life to speak a truth the world despises? Believe her. Always.” — Blood Water Paint
I only just finished this book a few days ago, but it already has so many quotes that will stick in my head for a long time, and this was probably my favorite of them. ❤ I think it speaks for itself.
5. Now that he stood directly beside Adam, not looking at him, Adam could see that he was a little out of breath. Ronan, behind him, was as well. They had run. For him. — Blue Lily, Lily Blue
There are countless incredible quotes in this series, no doubt (just ask the multiple packs of page tabs I used on each book), but this is one of my favorites: the moment when Adam realizes just how determined Gansey and Ronan are to support and defend him. ❤
4. “My friend through many dangers. My lover who had healed my broken and weary soul. My mate who had waited for me against all hope, despite all odds.” — A Court of Mist and Fury
Of course this quote is precious because of what it signifies and the scene that it falls within, but most of all, I adore the fact that it is the exact moment when it fully sinks in for Feyre, how much Rhysand has loved her and supported her from the start.
3. “Dying? Not at all,” said Sirius. “Quicker and easier than falling asleep.” — Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Sirius couldn’t have predicted what would happen, but in that moment, all that mattered was comforting the poor child who’d come so far and fought so hard, only to look death right in the eye, and there’s something about this quote that always makes me feel so sweet and mournful.
2. “Fire is catching! And if we burn, you burn with us!” — Mockingjay
If there’s ever been a quote that made me want to go set the system on fire and fix everything that’s wrong in society today, this one is it. I get chills every time.
1. “We accept the love we think we deserve.” — The Perks of Being a Wallflower
If I ever had to narrow it down to just one favorite, this one would be it. This quote got me through some really tough times in my life, and was the inspiration I needed to end more than one bad situation I’d found myself in.
What’s your favorite bookish quote? Let me know in the comments!