T10T: Frequently Used Cover Designs in YA

TTT-Big2

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly blog meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

This week’s prompt was actually to pick “Frequently Used Words In [Insert Genre/Age Group] Titles”, but, well… you guys surely know by now how much I love changing things up a bit, so I decided to go with frequently used cover designs!

NOTE: For the record, I’m not making fun of these books or their covers (I happen to like a lot of them!), nor am I calling them “over” used… I just thought it was neat that some of these pop up so much on my shelves or on Goodreads!

1. Girls with Weapons

2. Close-Ups of Girls’ Body Parts

3. Close-Ups of Girls’ Faces

4. Food

5. Flowers

6. Bursts/Splashes of Colors On White Backgrounds

7. Dragons

8. Ravens and/or Crows

9. Weapons (by themselves)

10. Silhouettes

Is there any particular “theme” that you feel like you see repeated a lot in your personal library?

{TWITTER . BOOKSTAGRAM . FACEBOOK . GOODREADS}

58 thoughts on “T10T: Frequently Used Cover Designs in YA

1. Jazmin Jade says:

I love your twist on the list topic! I am always drawn to a cover with a girl with a weapon and flowers are very attractive as well. Books with faces can be so ugly though haha

• Destiny @ Howling Libraries says:

Thank you so much! ♥ The girls with weapons and the flowery ones always pull me in, too – but I also agree about the zoomed-in face covers, haha. One that comes to mind for me is actually The Uglies – I hated the original cover for that book! I like the new white one with the person under the sheet or whatever, though. It’s kinda creepy in a good way, haha.

2. Tammy says:

This was a great idea! It’s interesting, I usually shy away from covers with weapons on them (so overdone!) But I don’t mind it when I see GIRLS with weapons, lol.

3. emmareadstoomuch says:

the color splash ones/bright patterns lately are insane!! i swear every cover is like a pretty pattern with that one calligraphy font. can’t tell books apart for sh*t

4. Jenna @ Falling Letters says:

These are something interesting themes that I probably wouldn’t have picked up on! I like seeing all the covers together… My first thought when I read this topic was something like “books with big bold metallic fonts”, kind of like on the cover for Now I Rise (see also: Walk on Earth a Stranger, The Star-Touched Queen).

• Destiny @ Howling Libraries says:

Thank you, Jenna! 😀 I’m not sure what made me notice it but I think it was when I had a bookstagram prompt to show off covers with birds on them, and I realized I had, like, EIGHT books with crows and ravens on them! So then I started paying attention to my shelves more and noticed it – it’s so weird! Yes, I do see a lot of bold metallic fonts lately – which is funny, because I’m such a sucker for that stylistic choice? I’m not sure why, but I really love how it “pops”!