Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly blog meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.
This week’s challenge was about villains, but you guys know I have to change it up a bit, so I’m going with some unpopular character opinions I have! I’ll list 5 characters I like (who everyone seems to dislike), and 5 characters I dislike (who everyone seems to like). Sorry in advance if any of your faves are in my “dislike” list!
5 characters I LIKE that everyone seems to DISLIKE:
- Aelin Galathynius — Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
- She’s a badass, she’s super generous, she would sacrifice herself in an instant for even people who aren’t in her inner circle, and she’s pretty damn clever! I think she’s amazing. 😍
- Lila Bard — Shades of Magic by V. E. Schwab
- I know Lila is rough around the edges, arrogant, brooding, and self-absorbed, but those are traits I enjoy in characters!
- Matthias Helvar — Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- I think he gets the short end of the stick way too often. He grows so much as a character throughout the series and he has so many sweet and tender moments. Yeah, he has some super messed up views in the beginning, but most people who were raised in a brainwashing religion do until they’re shown a better way.
- Clary Fray — The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
- At first, she irritated the hell out of me! But somewhere around book 3, I don’t know, something changed and I started to really love Clary and respect her a lot. Nothing can stop her from defending her loved ones and I admire that.
- Severus Snape — Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
- Look, hear me out before you hit that “unfollow” button. 😂 I do NOT think Snape is a “hero” or that he “redeemed” himself—it’s none of that. It’s just that I love morally grey characters, and while I’d put him closer to the “dark” side of the moral greyness spectrum, he’s on there. I also cannot be convinced that he isn’t the most complex and well-written character in the series.
5 characters I DISLIKE that everyone seems to LIKE:
- Radu Bey — The Conquerors Saga by Kiersten White
- I feel like all of my friends who are fans of this series love Radu, and yeah, he’s a gay as hell little cutie, but he makes the worst decisions 99% of the time and I would punch him in the throat if I could.
- Gale Hawthorne — The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- As you can see, I was very #TeamPeeta, through and through. 😛 Gale was fine to begin with, but I didn’t like how he acted entitled to Katniss’ affections just because they were friends, and I will forever stand by my opinion that Katniss never would have been able to be happy with him after the balloons.
- Scarlet Benoit — The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
- This one really isn’t even fair, but I didn’t want to make a list that was 99% HP characters (I have a lot of disliked characters in that series, okay). I just… don’t really get the hype with Scarlet. Maybe it’s just because her book was the most boring book in the series to me so far (I still have to read Winter!).
- James Potter — Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
- He was a bully who tormented his classmates for fun. Snape was a bully too, don’t get me wrong, but at least Snape was interesting. James’ entire personality revolved around quidditch and being a dick.
- Albus Dumbledore — Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
- I debated on whether I wanted to even include this one or not, but… I have to. Dumbledore might be my most disliked “popular” character ever. He condoned Harry’s abusive childhood by allowing it to continue and making Harry go back every summer, he raised Harry like a lamb for slaughter, he lied so much… I loved him as a kid, but as an adult? I just think he’s kind of a jerk. 😦