The WINNER of last week’s “lows” vote was… *drumroll*
TRUTHWITCH by Susan Dennard!
As promised, I’ll now add this book to my “top-TBR” shelf on Goodreads to remind me to read it within the next 18 months.
- Link back to the original post at Howling Libraries
- Sort your Goodreads TBR shelf by date added, ascending
- Find 5-10 (or more, if you feel ambitious!) titles to purge from your TBR (the “lows”)
- ALTERNATIVE OPTION: Find 5+ titles that are at the BOTTOM of your TBR—books you want to read someday, just not right now!
- Post those 5 books in the list, with a brief explanation
- Next, sort your Goodreads TBR shelf by date added, descending
- List the last 5 (or more!) books you added to your TBR, with a synopsis or your brief summary of why you added it (the “highs”)
(books that are LOW on my TBR—vote in the comments for which one I should move UP on my list and I’ll read it within 18 months!)
- Clean — Juno Dawson
- YA contemporary; socialite Lexi Volkov is forced into a rehab to face her drug addiction
- Follow Me Back — A.V. Geiger
- YA mystery; Tessa’s agoraphobia limits her to spending her time in the online fandom community for pop star Eric Thorn. after another pop star is killed by a fan, Thorn decides to troll his biggest fan — Tessa — but the attempt turns into a bizarre online relationship.
- Night Film — Marisha Pessl
- adult thriller; journalist Scott McGrath gets wrapped up in investigating the apparent suicide of the daughter of a famous horror film director
- The Woods are Dark — Richard Laymon
- adult horror; one of the original “extreme horror” titles, it follows groups of hikers who are caught and shackled to trees to await the man-eating “Them”
- Pines — Blake Crouch
- adult thriller/sci-fi; secret service agent Ethan Burke has an accident and awakens in a hospital where everything seems “off”, his ID and phone are missing, he can’t contact his family, and the town is encircled in electric fences
This week’s “highs” was originally only a few titles… and then, for whatever reason, I added a million things late Saturday night and decided to rewrite the post. 😂😂😂
- Girls Burn Brighter — Shobha Rao
- adult contemporary; a novel about two best friends in India who come together, are separated, and find their way back to each other again. I think I grabbed this from a BooksAndLala video!
- Criminal Intentions S1E1: Junk Shop Blues — Cole McCade (kindle unlimited)
- adult romance/mystery; this is a slow-burn age-gap m/m romance/mystery series between two detectives, and if you didn’t see my review, I ADORED the first book!
- My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich — Ibi Zoboi
- middle grade contemporary; Ebony-Grace’s grandpa was one of the first black NASA engineers and enabled her love for space, but she suddenly has to go live with her dad in Harlem, where she learns to adapt and find some similarities between her new home and space. I didn’t love Zoboi’s American Street, but I hear this is really good!
- My Brother’s Husband, Vol. 2 — Gengoroh Tagame
- adult contemporary; after Yaichi’s estranged brother passes away, his brother’s husband Mike comes to stay with him for a while and forces Yaichi to examine his own homophobia. I absolutely loved the first volume and can’t wait to read this one, though I’m sad that there are only 2 volumes!
- The Dead Girls Club — Damien Angelica Walters (ARC; december 2019)
- adult horror/thriller;in 1991, Heather and her friends were obsessed with a spirit called the Red Lady, until it supposedly killed their friend, Becca. 30 years later, Heather’s past has shown back up to uncover some secrets about that night.
- Memento — Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
- YA sci-fi; the Illuminae Files prequel novella! I thought this was already on my TBR, whoops. I can’t wait for this to arrive. ♥ more AIDAN pls!
- Tunnel of Bones — Victoria Schwab
- MG horror/paranormal; another one I totally thought was already on my TBR. I loved City of Ghosts so damn much and am SO READY for more time with sweet Cassidy and Jacob ♥♥♥
- Long Shot — Kennedy Ryan (kindle unlimited)
- adult romance; I already wanted to check out this series because Talia Hibbert raved about it, and then Sionna loved this book, too! All I know is that the series is about forbidden basketball romances.
- Book Boyfriend — Claire Kingsley (kindle unlimited)
- adult romance; I’m seeing this recommended everywhere lately! It seems to be a catfishing romance and the heroine is a bookworm.
- Grin and Beard It — Penny Reid
- adult romance; I didn’t totally love the first book in the Winston Brothers series, but I’ve had time to get over my mild disappointment and I’m dying to get back into the series now. This one follows Jethro Winston, and I think the heroine has positive fat rep!
- A Penny for Your Thoughts — Robert Ford & Matt Hayward (june 2019)
- adult horror; when Joe finds a jar of pennies, he’s surprised to find a child’s wish written on a piece of paper attached to each one, but he slowly realizes they’re not wishes — they’re exchanges. This sounds really creepy and fun.
- Dark and Deepest Red — Anna-Marie McLemore (january 2020)
- YA fantasy; another one I swore was already on my TBR… it’s set in 1518 and involves a plague, witches, and queer folks. I’m here for it.
- Unpregnant — Jenni Hendriks & Ted Caplan (pending ARC; september 2019)
- YA contemporary; Veronica needs an abortion, and the only place she can legally get one is over 900 miles away, so in an act of desperation, she enlists her ex-bestie to help her get there. It sounds really similar to Girls on the Verge, which I loved earlier this year!
- The Ten Thousand Doors of January — Alix E. Harrow (pending ARC; september 2019)
- adult/YA(???) fantasy; I think this is a “quest”/portal fantasy in which January, the MC, finds a book that transports her on adventures. It sounds AMAZING.
- Queen of the Conquered — Kheryn Callender (pending ARC; november 2019)
- adult fantasy; when Sigourney was a child, her royal family was murdered by colonizers, so now that she is an adult who can read and control minds, she starts on a mission to take the throne — until royal families start turning up dead left and right, and she’s not the one responsible.
- Salvation Day — Kali Wallace (pending ARC; july 2019)
- adult sci-fi/thriller; a lethal virus is awoken on a spaceship and threatens the entire human race.
- The Gossamer Mage — Julie E. Czerneda (august 2019)
- adult fantasy; the people of Tananen worship the Deathless Goddess and learn to write Her words as magic, but each successful spell ages the mages quickly and kills them off young. In an attempt to fight back against her cruelty, the greatest mage in Tananen sets out on a mission to kill Her.
- Spinning Silk — T. Cook
- adult fantasy; a Japanese folklore-inspired fantasy that reimagines spider spirits and demons. I got this one from Kelly’s review!
- Boyfriend Bargain — Ilsa Madden-Mills (kindle unlimited)
- new adult romance; a hockey fake dating romance I found through Sam’s review!
- Stud in the Stacks — Pippa Grant (kindle unlimited)
- adult romance; a playboy bookseller has to convince his boss he can settle down if he wants to keep his job. I think this was from one of Sionna’s posts?
- Pretty Reckless — L.J. Shen (kindle unlimited)
- new adult romance; an enemies-to-lovers revenge romance between two foster siblings, I guess? It sounded pretty interesting and a handful of my friends seem to have liked it!
- Alien: Echo — Mira Grant
- YA sci-fi/horror; Mira Grant is writing a new series based on the Aliens franchise! 😲
- Reign of Dragons — Olivia Ash (kindle unlimited)
- adult paranormal romance; an assassin must find her missing sister, but in a moment of near-death terror, she fuses with a dragon in a magical bond that will now make her the object of warring countries’ searches.
Descriptions for all items below this point can be found in yesterday’s Stacking the Shelves post!
Which book from my “lows” do you think I should add to my “top-TBR” shelf?