It’s time for a weekly check-in!
Whoops, I’m a few weeks late on this update! I’m not sure what it is lately, but I’ve been having a bit of a tough time keeping to my regular routine over the past month or so. I think a lot of it may have to do with adjusting to going out of the house more often—for the past two years, I’ve only left the house maybe once every few weeks, and now it’s suddenly a few days a week, and it’s more time-consuming and schedule-interrupting than I remembered! I’ve also had some up and down mental health days and stress lately, which hasn’t helped. Hopefully I can get back on track before the month is out, though, and I do feel like I’m reading a lot right now!
I have a lot to put in this section since it’s been so long since I posted one of these!
- Crime Scene // Cynthia Pelayo ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
- Empathy // Kealan Patrick Burke ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
- Bellamy // Darcy Coates ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Below // Laurel Hightower ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Petrified Women // Jeremy Ray ⭐⭐⭐💫
- The Undertaking of Hart & Mercy // Megan Bannen ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- The Dead House // Dawn Kurtagich ⭐⭐⭐💫
- Cat + Gamer, Vol. 1 // Wataru Nadatani ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- My Heart is a Chainsaw // Stephen Graham Jones ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- My Dark Vanessa // Kate Elizabeth Russell ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Small Spaces // Katherine Arden ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- The Gathering Dark // Tori Bovalino ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I was primarily focusing on some overdue buddy reads, but I’m getting a little overwhelmed with how big my “currently reading” list has gotten, so I decided to try something new this week and am focusing on my shortest books and the books that I’m the closest to finishing first! That way, I can knock a bunch out with minimal time put in, feel productive, and clear up this shelf a little bit so that it doesn’t feel like I have so much on my plate at once. These three priority reads are the books I’m closest to finishing!
📚 priority reads 📚
- Tender is the Flesh // Agustina Bazterrica → 127pg left
- Sea of Thieves: Athena’s Fortune // Chris Allcock → 166pg left
- Sin Eater // Megan Campisi → 182pg left
📚 total current reads: 19 📚
My spouse and I have an annual tradition we started where we watch a horror movie everyday in October, and it’s been so much fun. We’ve watched some that are new to both of us as well as a few that I had seen before but they hadn’t (since I grew up on horror, whereas they’re a fairly new lover of the genre). I think some of my favorites we’ve watched/re-watched so far this month have been the first 5 Hellraiser movies (plus the new one, which I loved!), the old and new Candyman movies (also incredible), Terrifier (always a good time), and Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum.
Heads up: you can always friend me on Letterboxd if you wanna see my movie mini reviews!
What are you reading right now, or what did you recently finish? Is anything exciting happening in your life? Let me know in the comments!
— destiny ♥