October TBR: BOO!kish Bingo and OWNtober

Hello, everyone! I know it’s technically the last day of September right now, but I’m so freaking excited for this post that I just had to go ahead and share it with you guys! It’s time for my…

October TBR!

October is my favorite month of all, because reasons – my birthday is the 16th, Halloween (duh!), and it’s such a cozy, eerie month. It’s literally my single favorite month for reading because it’s usually the best month of the year for me to sit outside with a sweater and a cup of cocoa or tea, and a nice thriller or horror novel.

0C9wtFA.gif

For October, I always like to read mostly a big stack of horror and thrillers, so my co-admin and I over at Life & Lit decided to host a spooky event for the entire month of October: BOO!kish Bingo! If you’re interested, you can either go here and request to join the facebook group, or comment below and I’ll get you added!

I’m also partially participating in my friend Kathy’s OWNtober challenge, which is to focus on reading books you already own and haven’t gotten around to yet! You can read more and sign up for her challenge here. Some of my TBR for the month is comprised of ARCs or brand new pre-orders, so I’ll put an asterisk (*) beside the OWNtober titles.

To give you guys an idea of the bingo challenges, I’ll list each title below with the correlating challenge (and any other relevant info~)!

bookishbingoheader

138396.jpg

The Walking Dead, Vol 2 – book w/ a villain
The Doll House – book w/ a stalker (ARC, released 9.14.17)
*Sleepy Hollow and Other Short Stories – classic horror
The Innocence Treatment sci/fi (ARC, releasing 10.17.17)
Alone – haunted house (ARC, releasing 11.7.17)

33392114.jpg

The Hanging Girlmagic (ARC, releasing 10.3.17)
The Hollow Girlwitches (ARC, releasing 10.10.17)
Strange Weatherpopular horror author (ARC, releasing 10.24.17)
The Goblins of Bellwatermythical creature (ARC, releasing 10.1.17)
*The Hearts We Soldparanormal

34275232.jpg

The Hazel Woodnew to you author (ARC, releasing 1.30.18)
The Devils You Knowautumn vibes (ARC, releasing 10.3.17)
*House of Furieseye candy
The Ravenouszombies/infection (ARC, released 9.26.17)
One of Us is Lyingmystery

15797848.jpg

There’s Someone Inside Your Houseteen horror
*Mary: The Summoningorange/black cover
*Shutterscary cover
*The Grownupbook w/ ghosts
*Intensitybook w/ a murderer

17378508.jpg

*Blue Lily, Lily Bluefree space
*Night Shiftfilm adaptation
*The Graveyard Bookmiddle grade horror
Frankenstein, Vol 1: Prodigal Sonbook w/ a monster
*Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Huntervampires

So, there you have it! My October TBR is a whopping 25 titles, and only two of them are graphic novels! A couple of them are short stories, though, and the thing that makes me feel most optimistic is that they’re almost all horror/thrillers, which I always breeze through much faster than, say, a big YA high fantasy novel. 😂

What are some of your top TBR picks for October? Will you be participating in any spooky challenges?

(Side note, because people have been asking: yes, I will most likely also be participating in Spookathon! If I do, I’ll be using Alone for a spooky setting, childhood fear, and thriller; Frankenstein, Vol 1: Prodigal Son for an orange cover, and Mary: The Summoning for a title with a creepy word – “summoning” makes me think of demons and seances and other spooky events! I’ve also put in a NetGalley request for the readalong book, and if I get approved in time, I’ll be posting about it on my Twitter.)

twitter . bookstagram . facebook . goodreads }

31 thoughts on “October TBR: BOO!kish Bingo and OWNtober

1. emmareadstoomuch says:

MY BIRTHDAY IS THE 17TH WE ARE TWINS KINDA. and also YAY blue lily lily blue and the graveyard book!!!! two 5 stars for me please luv them!

2. dragonsandzombies says:

That’s some cool spooky books you have there 🙂 ‘There’s someone inside your house’ – I used to love watching movies like that!! Thanks for linking to the challenges, I might join one or both of them 😀

• Destiny @ Howling Libraries says:

Haha thank you! I’m really excited! I love horror books but since there aren’t many that get released throughout the rest of the year, and I’ve been focusing so heavily on ARCs, I feel like I haven’t gotten to read much horror at all this year, so I’m just cramming it all into October, haha!

Liked by 1 person

3. Kathy @ Books & Munches says:

Now if that isn’t a huge TBR, I don’t know what is, haha!
    I thought about joining something Halloween-ish, but decided against it in the end. After setting myself fixed TBR’s for a couple of months now, I have that amazing need to just read what I feel like reading and not worry about ticking off challenges / prompts, haha.

• Destiny @ Howling Libraries says:

Dude, I’m honestly so there for that!! I need to have a TBR-free month soon… or at least a more lax one. I’ve been having really structured TBRs the last few months and they’re fun but I’m getting ready for a laidback month. November will be mostly ARCs, and December will be finishing up some series, soooo… maybe January? Hahah

Liked by 1 person

• Kathy @ Books & Munches says:

I’m literally having an “OWNTOBER FOR THE WIN”-party since I started reading my own books yesterday. Finished Mary Poppins already; reading Windfall now. It just feels AMAZING to go through my own books to pick my next read. I didn’t realize how much I’ve been missing that. :’)
        November will be catching up on my reading goals / challenges; December will be about diverse books and January is.. Jam Jar-time. :’) Monthly challenges FTW.

I’m still wondering whether or not I’ll be able to get my physical TBR to 100.. Since I have like 10 more books coming my way that I haven’t even put on my owned-TBR on Goodreads.. What have I done. :’D

• Destiny @ Howling Libraries says:

Oooh, nice! I bet! I honestly swear I don’t remember what it feels like to just browse my shelves and grab a book that sticks out to me lmao.

I don’t know if my physical TBR will ever get below 100… but at least I know in an apocalyptic situation, I’m SET on books!

Liked by 1 person

• Kathy @ Books & Munches says:

It feels gooooooooooood. I started Harry Potter and the Cursed Child last night and already finished it this morning, haha. Now I am kind of.. damned because I was actually going to finish it during my lunch break – since the #GetGraphic readathon starts tonight.. And now I have.. nothing to read.. All because I couldn’t control myself and started reading this morning. Oops. :’D

Haha! Aren’t we all?! I’m definitely trying to get there, but I’m doubting it’ll work out.. Oh well; they can’t say I didn’t try. :’D

• Destiny @ Howling Libraries says:

Oooh, yay! I’m glad to hear it’s caught your interest. I think I’ll start it as soon as I finish my current ebook read, The Goblins of Bellwater. It might sound odd, but I try to limit myself to one ebook at a time – especially when my TBR is mostly comprised of print titles like this month’s is. Happy reading! ❤❤

Liked by 1 person

4. Megan @ Ginger Mom says:

Wow! What a list! I don’t read a lot of horror but Stephen King is one of my favorite authors and it looks like I now have quite a few more books to add to my TBR lol 🙂 Great list and good luck with your October challenges!