Another late monthly wrap… oops.
Man, I don’t know about you all, but August was not kind to my reading and creative flow. Despite picking up a few graphic novels & manga at the end of the month, this still was the least I’ve read in any single month in FOUR YEARS, and I feel pretty lackluster (or downright negative) about most of what I did read. August is always one of my least favorite months of the year, anyways, but add in some personal struggles, grief, stress, and more… yeah. I’m glad August is over. (Not that September started off too much better, but I’m hoping for the upswing soon…)
books read: 14 (1 DNF, 13 completed)
average rating: 3.5/5
pages read: 3,282
✨ = review copy | 🔁 = reread | 🤗 = buddy read
🎧 = audiobook | 💻 = Kindle Unlimited | 📜 = poetry
🌻 = BIPOC rep | 🌈 = LGBTQ+ rep | 🌺 = disability and/or MI rep | 💞 = fat rep
✨ graphic novels, manga, etc. ✨
✨ adult & new adult ✨
✨ young adult ✨
nothing this month! 🤯
✨ middle grade ✨
Click here to be my Letterboxd friend!
|American Mary (2012)
I hadn’t seen this in years, but it was honestly even better (and bloodier) than I remembered. I love the underlying theme and, no spoilers, but I will always root for survivors getting revenge.
Not gonna lie, this was totally worth the hype. I would love to see more filmmakers use shorter horror film formats like this because it’s just so damn punchy and intense.
|The Platform (2019)
I still don’t know what to make of this movie.
|Let Us Prey (2014)
This is probably the 8th or 9th time I’ve seen this, and it is easily one of my favorite films of all time.
(Yup, still just these 2 same games all the time. I need to branch out a little.)
- OTHER POSTS:
(click the thumbnails to see the videos!)
- Bex @ astoldbybex listed 10 women characters in horror films she’d die for
- Kaya @ afictionalbookworm reviewed The Companion, a spooky new YA horror
- Charlotte made me even more excited to read Drowned Country
- Lea @ drumsofautumn/meltotheany reviewed Summer Bird Blue and reminded me of how much I love it
- Noura @ The Perks of Being Noura posted the most delightful Court of Lions review
- Whitney @ BooksWithMe shared an amazing #ownvoices review for The Black Kids
- Tammy @ Books, Bones & Buffy said everything I was thinking about Night of the Mannequins
- Kay @ Hammock of Books wrote a fantastic discussion post on being an #ownvoices reviewer
- Corey @ Grimdark Dad made me super excited to pick up my copy of Burn the Dark
- Mel @ meltotheany reviewed Vampires Never Get Old with some brutal (and needed) truths
- Sumedha @ The Wordy Habitat talked about 10 things she learned from 5 years of blogging
- Bec @ bec&books recommended 10 amazing audiobooks
- Diana @ Paperback Jedi highlighted some backlist TBR titles (and inspired me to possibly do the same soon? 👀)
- Kelly @ Unapologetically Kelly discussed why she’s reading more ebooks lately
— destiny ♥
twitter | booktube | bookstagram | facebook | goodreads
We both finished the same series in August! Look at us!
Aw, I’m sorry you had a slump month, Destiny! Those are pretty rough. But I’m glad you got to reenjoy some PJO and some horror movies! Revisiting things you love and finding you STILL love them is such a good thing. 😊
I hope your September is kinder to you!
love you, sweet friend. sending you my heart still and always. also.. the way you single-handedly just made me want to read the roommate. your power! 💕xx
I hope September will be a better reading month for you!
I’m obviously super late @ responding & commenting on things, but hi Destiny, I love you! Thank you so much for sharing my post! ♥♥
I’ve been wanting to read THE ROOMMATE so bad after seeing that you loved it! After spooky season, I’m putting it high on my TBR!
Aw I am so sorry to hear August was very slumpy for you. I do hope September ends up being better for you. I am excited to read you review on The Roommate. I have been hearing about that one. I put it on hold at the library. I can’t wait to get to it.
Sweetie!! ❤️✨ here to wish you the most beautiful September full of the best readings. I hope you feel much better this month and beat that annoying reading slump, meanwhile take good care of yourself 🥺🥺🥺🥺