Another late monthly wrap… oops.
Man, I don’t know about you all, but August was not kind to my reading and creative flow. Despite picking up a few graphic novels & manga at the end of the month, this still was the least I’ve read in any single month in FOUR YEARS, and I feel pretty lackluster (or downright negative) about most of what I did read. August is always one of my least favorite months of the year, anyways, but add in some personal struggles, grief, stress, and more… yeah. I’m glad August is over. (Not that September started off too much better, but I’m hoping for the upswing soon…)
books read: 14 (1 DNF, 13 completed)
average rating: 3.5/5
pages read: 3,282
✨ = review copy | 🔁 = reread | 🤗 = buddy read
🎧 = audiobook | 💻 = Kindle Unlimited | 📜 = poetry
🌻 = BIPOC rep | 🌈 = LGBTQ+ rep | 🌺 = disability and/or MI rep | 💞 = fat rep
✨ graphic novels, manga, etc. ✨
✨ adult & new adult ✨
✨ young adult ✨
nothing this month! 🤯
✨ middle grade ✨
|American Mary (2012)
I hadn’t seen this in years, but it was honestly even better (and bloodier) than I remembered. I love the underlying theme and, no spoilers, but I will always root for survivors getting revenge.
Not gonna lie, this was totally worth the hype. I would love to see more filmmakers use shorter horror film formats like this because it’s just so damn punchy and intense.
|The Platform (2019)
I still don’t know what to make of this movie.
|Let Us Prey (2014)
This is probably the 8th or 9th time I’ve seen this, and it is easily one of my favorite films of all time.
(Yup, still just these 2 same games all the time. I need to branch out a little.)
- OTHER POSTS:
(click the thumbnails to see the videos!)
- Bex @ astoldbybex listed 10 women characters in horror films she’d die for
- Kaya @ afictionalbookworm reviewed The Companion, a spooky new YA horror
- Charlotte made me even more excited to read Drowned Country
- Lea @ drumsofautumn/meltotheany reviewed Summer Bird Blue and reminded me of how much I love it
- Noura @ The Perks of Being Noura posted the most delightful Court of Lions review
- Whitney @ BooksWithMe shared an amazing #ownvoices review for The Black Kids
- Tammy @ Books, Bones & Buffy said everything I was thinking about Night of the Mannequins
- Kay @ Hammock of Books wrote a fantastic discussion post on being an #ownvoices reviewer
- Corey @ Grimdark Dad made me super excited to pick up my copy of Burn the Dark
- Mel @ meltotheany reviewed Vampires Never Get Old with some brutal (and needed) truths
- Sumedha @ The Wordy Habitat talked about 10 things she learned from 5 years of blogging
- Bec @ bec&books recommended 10 amazing audiobooks
- Diana @ Paperback Jedi highlighted some backlist TBR titles (and inspired me to possibly do the same soon? 👀)
- Kelly @ Unapologetically Kelly discussed why she’s reading more ebooks lately
— destiny ♥
twitter | booktube | bookstagram | facebook | goodreads