Yep, you read that right: this is my first monthly TBR post in almost a year! My last one was for my birthday month last October. I gave up on TBRs for a while because I knew there was no way I could stick to them, but I’ve been getting back into such a reading mood lately and it’s given me the courage I need to get back into it!
I don’t have a special theme~ for this TBR or anything, it’s just a list of upcoming or recently released review copies that I’m hella excited to get to (mostly spooky stuff, because I am biiiig time back on my Spooky Bullshit™ lately).
In hindsight, going with a 9-book TBR for my first monthly TBR in this long was probably biting off more than I could or should chew, but it’s too late to stop this train now, bay-bee~
- The Strange Thing We Have Become and Other Dark Tales by Eric LaRocca — I have loved Eric’s work so far and definitely did a little dance at my desk when he sent over an e-ARC of his upcoming collection of horror shorts!
- The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix — I love everything I’ve read by Grady so far, and I doubt this will be an exception (plus, I’m such a sucker for stories that follow final girls after their horror moments).
- Children of Demeter by E.V. Knight — I’m a big sucker for cult stories, especially ones in 70s settings like this!
- Sensor by Junji Ito — Junji Ito’s work is a little hit-and-miss for me (probably 70% hit, 30% miss), but I never stop getting excited when I see a new release from this author.
- Hide and Don’t Seek by Anica Mrose Rissi — I truly hope I never outgrow middle grade horror short stories. 🥺 I’m writing this post on the 28th, and considering actually picking this collection up tonight, so I might have finished it by the time August rolls around! UPDATE: I did, in fact, read this entire collection immediately after drafting this post, but I’m proud so I refuse to remove it from the list. 😂
- Ghost Girl by Ally Malinenko — Again, give me all the spooky MG vibes this month, please. This one’s a ghost story that I keep seeing comped to Small Spaces!
- Only if You Dare: 13 Stories of Darkness and Doom by Josh Allen — Like I said… MG horror short story collections. ♥
- The Icepick Surgeon by Sam Kean — A nonfiction collection of tales throughout history in which science has gone horribly wrong. I technically already started this one, and it’s pretty juicy so far.
- Fresh by Margot Wood — And finally, our only non-spooky addition to the list is this new adult queer romance that sounds hella cute.
What’s on your August TBR? Let me know in the comments (or drop a link!) ♥
— destiny ♥