It’s time for a look at my March reading life!
It’s time for another wrap-up/haul post — and some fun stats!
What I read:
(each title link will direct you to my review for more thoughts!)
✨ review copy → 💞 buddy/group read → 🔁 re-read → 🎧 audiobook → 🍰 graphic novel/manga
😻 Devour Your TBR theme
- Rosen Blood, Vol. 2 // Kachiru Ishizue: ✨🍰😻 + ⭐⭐ → A very mediocre, cheesy second volume. I probably won’t continue this series.
- John Carpenter’s Night Terrors: SOUR CANDY // Kealan Patrick Burke: 🍰 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → A fantastic new rendition of a story I already loved.
- A Girl Like Her // Talia Hibbert: 💞🔁🎧😻 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I buddy re-read this with Caro and loved it just as much as always! I think it was my 4th or 5th time reading it.
- Her Soul to Take // Harley Laroux: 💞 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I buddy read this with Malli and I think we both loved it a lot! I loved the blend of romance and horror and can’t wait to continue the series.
- You’ve Lost a Lot of Blood // Eric LaRocca: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I love Eric’s writing so much and just about fainted when they dropped this surprise novella. 😂
- Waif // Samantha Kolesnik: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → My first Samantha Kolesnik novella, but definitely not my last. This was nothing like I expected it to be and it was the BEST wild ride.
- Gallant // V.E. Schwab: ✨ + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → Favorite book of the month and one of my favorite Schwab titles to date (which is saying a lot, given how much I adore V).
- Dead Silence // S.A Barnes: ✨ + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I’m so glad I finally got to finish this. I loved it so much and would easily consider it a new favorite!
- Damaged Goods // Talia Hibbert: 💞🔁😻 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → Another buddy re-read with Caro! I hadn’t read this one since it first came out and forgot how fun it was.
- Fix Her Up // Tessa Bailey: ❌DNF❌ → I liked Georgie, but hated every other character (especially the hero) and didn’t enjoy the writing at all. I DNFed this at 40%.
- The Taking of Jake Livingston // Ryan Douglass: 😻 + ❌DNF❌ → I loved the premise of this but honestly couldn’t stand the writing style. I DNFed this at 50%.
- Tryst Six Venom // Penelope Douglas: ❌DNF❌ → I don’t do bully romances and I don’t know why I tried. I DNFed this at 25%.
And now, for some of my favorite recent hauls:
- The Dead Inside // Laurel Hightower & Sandra Ruttan (purchase; adult horror anthology)
- All My Rage // Sabaa Tahir (audio review copy; YA contemporary)
- Gallant // V.E. Schwab (purchase — three editions (oops); YA horror; READ)
- Delilah Green Doesn’t Care // Ashley Herring Blake (purchase; adult contemporary romance)
- The Atlas Six // Olivie Blake (purchase; adult fantasy)
- Anoka // Shane Hawk (purchase; adult horror)
- The Ghost That Ate Us // Daniel Kraus (review copy; adult horror)
- A Taste of Gold and Iron // Alexandra Rowland (review copy; adult fantasy romance)
- You’ve Lost a Lot of Blood // Eric LaRocca (purchase; adult horror; READ)
- Only When It’s Us // Chloe Liese (purchase; adult contemporary romance)
- Orphans of Bliss: Tales of Addiction Horror // Mark Matthews (purchase; adult horror anthology)
- I’m the Girl // Courtney Summers (review copy; YA thriller)
And finally, a little life update:
March was a pretty eventful month in our home! The first part of the month was REALLY stressful. My anxiety has been getting progressively worse over the past several months, and it hit a point in late Feb/early March where I felt like I was barely functioning, so I talked to my doctor about trying a new medication. I started on Cymbalta a few weeks ago and it has honestly made a world of difference already. I still feel a little stressed about some things here and there, but most days, I can actually do the things I want to do without spiraling into panic attacks, which feels like such a huge win. It did take some time to adjust to, so there was a good week or so in mid-March where I mostly slept a LOT and played a lot of video games because I couldn’t really focus on anything at all, plus I had some physical side effects that weren’t great, but I’m thankful that they passed after only a few days. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks playing catch-up and trying to get back on top of my hobbies, work routines, etc. and my drive for reading finally came back (I spent most of March unable to read at all), so that has been really nice!
The other big thing that made March so eventful for us is that my spouse started a new job! They had been with the same company for a long time and their job had become a really stressful environment that was headed nowhere good, so they’ve started at a new company and we’re so relieved. They had to take a pay cut, but honestly, money isn’t everything and the difference we’ve already seen in their mental health has been so worth it.
Our entire home just feels like a brighter, happier, more energetic place right now and it’s kind of magical. The first few days of April have been really good to us so far and I’m hoping very hard that it’s a sign of a good month ahead of us. 🥰
How was your month? What was your favorite book you read or hauled, or what was something nice that happened in your life?
— destiny ♥