It’s time for a look at my October reading life!
It’s time for another wrap-up/haul post! I didn’t read as much in October as I had hoped to because I spent a LOT of time watching movies (I may do a movie wrap-up later, if that’s something people would be interested in!), so this won’t take as long as September’s wrap-up did. 😅 And, as usual, I’ll add a few favorite new hauls at the end.
First, what I read:
(each title link will direct you to my review for more thoughts!)
1. The Heart Principle by Helen Hoang — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ This was absolutely wonderful and super emotional!
2. Afterlife by Sarah Langan — ⭐⭐⭐⭐ A pretty good, sad horror short story.
3. Frontier Death Song by Laird Barron — ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Another short story, super interesting and fun.
4. The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Amazing, incredible, I’m in love with JG’s writing all over again.
5. Claustrophilia by Ezra Blake — ⭐⭐⭐⭐ One of the most fucked up things I’ve ever read, no question about it.
6. The Last House On Needless Street by Catriona Ward — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ This deserves ALL of the hype I’ve seen it receive.
7. These Deathless Bones by Cassandra Khaw — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Another short story. This one was a re-read and I liked it even more the second time around.
8. War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers by Jonathan Kunz & Elizabeth Pich — ⭐⭐ I laughed a couple of times and cringed a LOT.
9. Blister by Jeff Strand — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Super funny, weirdly sweet, and engaging. I read this in one sitting and loved it.
And now, for some of my favorite recent hauls:
(a bit of a longer list this month because I got some wonderful birthday gifts from some very sweet loved ones!)
- Devil’s Creek by Todd Keisling (purchase; adult horror)
- Knot My Type by Evie Mitchell (purchase; adult contemporary romance)
- Vespertine by Margaret Rogerson (purchase; YA fantasy)
- The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue: Collector’s Edition by V.E. Schwab (gift; adult fantasy)
- Kingdom of the Cursed by Kerri Maniscalco (purchase; YA fantasy; B&N exclusive)
- Go Down Hard by Ali Seay (gift; adult horror)
- Six Rooms by Gemma Amor (gift; adult horror)
- Sundial by Catriona Ward (review copy; adult horror)
- What Moves the Dead by T. Kingfisher (review copy; adult horror)
- Book Lovers by Emily Henry (review copy; adult contemporary romance)
- Weather Girl by Rachel Lynn Solomon (review copy; adult contemporary romance)
- True Crime by Samantha Kolesnik (gift; adult horror)
- Bridge of Souls by V Schwab (gift; MG paranormal)
- The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix (gift; adult horror)
- Brother by Ania Ahlborn (purchase; adult horror)
- The Girls Are Never Gone by Sarah Glenn Marsh (purchase; YA horror)
- Waif by Samantha Kolesnik (purchase; adult horror)
- Sea of Thieves: Athena’s Fortune by Chris Allcock (purchase; adult fantasy)
And finally, a little life update:
I really can’t believe October passed so quickly! It’s my favorite month and it never lasts long enough. The cool weather finally rolled in here about a week ago and it’s been really nice to cuddle up with my cozy new Goosebumps throw blanket (one of my favorite birthday gifts I received in October) and have a hot cup of cocoa at night. I mostly spent a lot of time in October watching movies and getting back into playing a lot of video games after having not played much in September.
I definitely didn’t read as much as I wanted to, but it was a good month and I’m not mad about it. I’ve been getting back into audiobooks over the past few weeks, so I’m hoping November brings me a good balance with audiobook-gaming, especially with the new Animal Crossing DLC/update coming out this week that I am SO hyped for! 😍
How was your month? What was your favorite book you read or hauled, or what was something nice that happened in your life?
— destiny ♥
So many amazing new titles in your haul, I’m going to check them out!
Have a great November!
I also just finished reading The Anthropocene Reviewed and I really liked it! I listened to the audiobook, which made the experience even better 🥰
I read The Girls Are Never Gone last month and it was SO good, I hope you enjoy it as well! (If I remember correctly you’re mentioned in the acknowledgements 😊)
Oh good, I’m so glad you enjoyed it! 😀 I kind of wish i’d done the audio too, but I could definitely see myself re-reading it in the future, so maybe that’s what I’ll do when that time comes around!
I’m so glad you liked it! Awww, Sarah is the actual sweetest 🥺🥺🥺
Movie recap pleaaase!! 🙂
I completely forgot I was planning to do that! Maybe I’ll just do an entire autumn movie recap 🤔
yes do it!!
Ooh so glad you enjoyed The Last House on Needless St! I’ve been meaning to read that but keep putting it off because I’m not the biggest fan of horror/mystery books, but we have very similar tastes so I’m sure I’ll enjoy it haha !
It was SO good, Laura! If you haven’t read it yet, I really hope you like it ♥
Seems like you still had a really good reading month! And some great hauls, ngl I’m jealous of Weather Girl, I can’t wait for that one to come out!! I agree that October went too quickly and I’m mad about it! I want spooky month to last longer lol!
[…] TBR: time to play catch up? & October Recap & Haul Time! (Destiny @ […]