It’s time for a look at my September reading life!
It’s time for another wrap-up/haul post! If you read my October TBR post, you’ll know I challenged myself to a book per day in September, no matter the length — and I succeeded! The good news is that it helped me kick the remainder of my reading slump and reminded me of why I love reading so much, and so often. The bad news is that it’s making for a doozy of a wrap-up post, so I’m going to keep this very short by only giving star ratings, with maybe a single sentence of my thoughts on a few of the more memorable things I read last month.
First, what I read:
1. Garlic and the Vampire by Bree Paulsen — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ One of my favorite graphic novels I’ve read in a long time!
2. Oddball by Sarah Andersen — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
3. The Banquet by Villimey Mist — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
4. Chopping Spree by Angela Sylvaine — ⭐⭐⭐💫
5. Sea of Thieves Collection by Jeremy Whitley — ⭐⭐⭐⭐
6. Where Hope Comes From by Nikita Gill — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Immensely inspiring and hopeful!
7. A is for Antichrist by Iain Rob Wright — ⭐⭐
8. Globcow #1 by Jeremy Shipp — ⭐⭐⭐⭐
9. How to Vex a Vampire by Alice Winters — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ THE ACTUAL CUTEST AND GOOFIEST BABIES
10. Nothing but Blackened Teeth by Cassandra Khaw — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Just as good and creepy as I hoped it would be!
11. In the Flesh by Kealan Patrick Burke — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
12. The Girl From the Sea by Molly Ostertag — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
13. She Kills Me by Jennifer Wright — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
14. The House by Phillip Sevy — ⭐⭐⭐
15. Revenge by Yoko Ogawa — ⭐⭐⭐💫
16. Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh — ⭐⭐⭐
17. Horrid by Katrina Leno — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
18. Stuck on You by Jasper Bark — ⭐⭐⭐💫
19. Monstrum Poetica by Jezzy Wolfe — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ One of my favorite poetry collections of all time.
20. Chef’s Kiss by Jarrett Melendez — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
21. Someone to Share My Nightmares: Stories by Sonora Taylor — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
22. Spell On Wheels by Kate Leth — ⭐⭐⭐⭐
23. Transmuted by Eve Harms — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
24. Fanged Dandelion by Eric LaRocca — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
25. Ain’t Burned All the Bright by Jason Reynolds — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
26. Intensity by Dean Koontz — ⭐⭐⭐
27. Between Shades of Gray: The Graphic Novel by Ruta Sepetys — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
28. I Love You, Call Me Back by Sabrina Benaim — ⭐⭐⭐
29. Another Kind by Trevor Bream & Cait May — ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Literally one of the most wholesome reading experiences of my life
30. Exposed Nerves by Lucy A. Snyder — ⭐⭐⭐⭐
And now, for some recent hauls:
- The Seven Visitations of Sydney Burgess by Andy Marin (review copy; adult horror)
- The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood (review copy; adult romance)
- The Strange Thing We Become and Other Dark Tales by Eric LaRocca (purchase; adult horror short story collection)
- The Cockroach King by Andrew Cull (purchase; adult horror)
- Peel Back and See by Mike Thorn (review copy; adult horror short story collection)
- To Offer Her Pleasure by Ali Seay (purchase; adult horror)
- Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff (purchase; adult fantasy… I may have pre-ordered three copies, oops)
- Ice Planet Barbarians by Ruby Dixon (review copy; adult sci-fi romance) ← I know this new cover is very polarizing, but I think it’s gorgeous and IDGAF 😂
- In Darkness, Delight: Fear the Future edited by Andrew Lennon & Evans Light (review copy; adult horror/sci-fi anthology)
- Bitter by Awkaeke Emezi (review copy; YA fantasy)
And finally, a little life update:
Nothing much to update here, really! We had a few comfy days, but it won’t feel like autumn where I live until probably late October – not that it’s stopped me from diving into all the autumn season vibes. 🍂🍁 September was the first month in almost two years where I found myself really wanting to read everyday, and it was kind of magical. I think this was one of the longest and worst reading slumps of my life, and I can’t even describe how happy I am that it feels like it’s over! Other than a LOT of reading, I mostly just played a ton of Roblox games with my 5-year-old, started a new obsession with the new MMO New World, and drank way too much pumpkin pie flavored coffee. 😂
How was your September? What was your favorite book you read or hauled, or what was something nice that happened in your life?
— destiny ♥
Looks like you had a fantastic reading month, Destiny! It’s great that you’re getting back into reading again 🥰 September wasn’t the best for me, but I read some great books! My favorites were The Girl from the Sea, Nevermoor, Dark Waters and Starsight 💕
So many 5 star reads! Glad you had such a successful September month! ❤️ Yay for the reading slump being over!
You had such a great month, I’m so happy for you that you were able to read every single day, that’s amazing!!! ….and I might’ve preordered like 3 or 5 or IDK how many copies of Empire of the Vampire too so. I feel ya LOL. (I think I only had 3. But if another one shows up on my doorstep, I wouldn’t be surprised.)
I’m so glad you managed to achieve your goal of 30 books in 30 days with such fabulous books! And I had already put Garlic and the Vampire on hold the first time I saw it mentioned in one of your posts, but now I’m even more excited to read it!
Ahhhh, I’m so glad to see you liked Horrid! I’ve been thinking about it nonstop lately, and I really need to reread it soon.
[…] TBR: ALL the spooky reads for the best spooky month 🎃 & September Recap & Haul Time! (Destiny @ […]