It’s time for a look at my September reading life!
It’s time for another wrap-up/haul post — and some fun stats!
What I read:
(each title link will direct you to my review for more thoughts!)
✨ review copy → 💞 buddy/group read → 🔁 re-read → 🎧 audiobook → 🍰 graphic novel/manga
TBR jar → 🗓️ 2022 TBR → 🌻 seasonal TBR → 😻 Devour Your TBR
- Spy x Family, Volumes 5-8 // Tatsuya Endo: ✨🍰 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I’m so sad that I’m caught up on the series. It’s SO good!!
- One Cup at a Time // Matt Tarpley: ✨🍰 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → This was so cute and wholesome.
- Sensory: Life on the Spectrum // Bex Ollerton & Schnumn: ✨🍰 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I may actually change my rating for this one later but I’m too tired to think hard about it right now. 😂 I gave it 5 stars at the time, but the longer I’ve thought on it, I had personal issues with some of it.
- You Are Home // Catana Chetwynd: ✨🍰 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I love Catana’s comics forever.
- Hollow // Shannon Watters: ✨🍰 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → Such a cute sapphic Sleepy Hollow retelling!
- Garlic and the Vampire // Bree Paulsen: 🔁🍰 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → Just as good as the first 2 times I read it!
- How to Be a Good Creature // Sy Montgomery: 💞😻 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I really loved this so much and loved buddy reading it with Malli!
- Black Tide // K.C. Jones: ✨💞 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I buddy read this with Ashley and it was a lot of fun.
- The Girl from the Other Side, Vol. 1 // Nagabe: 🍰😻 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I read this based on Malli’s recommendation and liked it!
- Garlic and the Witch // Bree Paulsen: 🍰 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I didn’t adore this as much as the first book, but I did like it very much.
- Only Human // Sylvain Neuvel: 💞 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → One of the best series finales I have EVER read.
- Hammers On Bone // Cassandra Khaw: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I love Cass’s weird writing.
- The Radium Girls // Kate Moore: 🎧 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → This was such a heavy, powerful, eye-opening read.
- Delilah Green Doesn’t Care // Ashley Herring Blake: ✨💞🎧 + ⭐⭐⭐ → My second time trying this and I almost DNFed it again. I hated Delilah for most of the book.
- The Hellbound Heart // Clive Barker: 💞 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I can’t believe I waited so long to read this, but then again, I’m not sure I would’ve loved it as much if I’d read it in previous years?
- Riot Baby // Tochi Onyebuchi: ✨🎧 + ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ → So good, so angry, so powerful. LOVED the author’s narration for the audiobook.
- Ghost Squad // Claribel A. Ortega: ✨🎧 + ❌ DNF ❌ → Second attempt and DNFed it again. I was so bored!
- Beneath the Bed and Other Scary Stories // Max Brallier: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ → I read this to my kiddo and we had a lot of fun. I love the idea of a new author doing a fresh take on the Scary Stories vibe for kids!
And now, for some of my favorite recent hauls:
- The Summer Palace and Other Stories // C.S. Pacat (purchase; adult fantasy/romance; I had the old version but I had to order the new one with this beautiful cover!)
- Belladonna // Adalyn Grace (purchase; YA fantasy)
- House of Hunger // Alexis Henderson (eARC; adult horror)
- Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke and Other Misfortunes // Eric LaRocca (purchase; adult horror)
- Little Eve // Catriona Ward (finished review copy; adult horror; READ)
- A House With Good Bones // T. Kingfisher (eARC; adult horror)
- Leech // Hiron Ennes (eARC; adult horror)
- Radiance & Eidolon // Grace Draven (FaeCrate special editions; adult romance/fantasy)
- The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy // Megan Bannen (finished review copy; adult fantasy/romance)
- The Ghosts of Rose Hill // R.M. Romero (finished review copy; YA historical fiction/fantasy)
And finally, a little life update:
September was a doozy of a month. We had two separate major home repairs, one of which thankfully went VERY smoothly, but the other was a total disaster that resulted in our whole house being without running water for almost two full days. It definitely made me check my privileges as someone who usually has running water at all times – I don’t think I’d been without water for that long since a storm when I was a little kid! We also went out and about quite a bit, taking Isaac to the aquarium and easing back into doing our own grocery runs sometimes instead of strictly relying on deliveries and curbside pickups. We’re careful and mask up everywhere we go, but it’s still been a little stressful dealing with the mild agoraphobia I developed during the early part of the pandemic. I’m hoping to go back to being my happy little hermit self a lot more in October. 😂
How was your month? What was your favorite book you read or hauled, or what was something nice that happened in your life?
— destiny ♥