Happy Tag Thursday, friends!
I was tagged in this one by Heather at The Sassy Book Geek TWO YEARS AGO. Two years! What even is wrong with me?! 😂
This tag was created by The Restricted Section.
1. “I was working in the lab late one night” – What’s a book that kept you up at night?
I feel like I should pick a horror book to fit the theme, but whenever I think of books that kept me up all night, the first one that always comes to mind is Over & Over Again by Cole McCade because it’s like 700 pages and I still read it all in one night – it was just that good!
2. “My eyes beheld an eerie sight.” – What’s the weirdest or creepiest shit you’ve ever read in a book?
Oh, this easily goes to a scene in The Siren and the Specter by Jonathan Janz that still gives me chills even though it’s been years since I read it. I didn’t even know books could have jump scares until that book!
3. “Get a jolt from my electrodes.” – Name a book that completely shocked or surprised you.
A recent one would be I’m Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid. I had heard such mixed reviews that I went in with pretty low expectations, but I ended up really enjoying it a lot!
4. “The guests included Wolfman, Dracula, and his son.” – Name your favorite monster or villain from a book.
I have to pick just ONE?! Ugh… I love villains and monsters lmao. I think I’d have to go with AIDAN from The Illuminae Files by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. I love a villain I can understand the logic of, and everything AIDAN does is for a pretty specific (and undeniably logical, though awful) reason.
5. “Whatever happened to my Transylvania Twist?” – Name a book that was super hyped when it came out, but no one talks about anymore.
I feel like this applies to SO many books. It seems like it’s really rare that a book is widely beloved enough that its hype lasts longer than 6 months post-release, you know? One that comes to mind is Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. It was all I heard about for ages before it came out and a few months ago, but now I almost never hear anything about the series. (To be fair, in this case, I think it’s partially due to how many mixed reviews it got…)
6. “They did the mash.” – Name your favorite book that is a mash up of two or more genres.
Contagion by Erin Bowman! It’s a sci-fi/horror crossover that does both genres really well and I had a ton of fun reading it.
7. “It was a graveyard smash.” – What is your favorite horror novel?
Sorry to re-use an answer, but this one also goes to The Siren and the Specter. <3
8. “The scene was rockin’, all were digging the sounds.” – What’s your favorite song based on a book?
Are there even that many songs based on books? >_> This feels like a very limiting question lmao. How about my favorite spooky song, instead? Which is, and forever will be, ‘Don’t Fear the Reaper’ by Blue Oyster Cult.
9. “Tell them Boris sent you.” – What’s your go-to book recommendation?
I honestly don’t have one because I very strongly cater my recommendations to the other person’s taste, but if I were going to pick one go-to rec? Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire.
10. “For you, the living, this mash was meant too.” – Who do you tag?
I’m really late getting today’s post finished, so I’m just going to say anyone who wants to do this tag is now officially tagged! 🎃 Happy spooky season, pals!
11. Bonus Question: What’s your favorite thing about Halloween?
The vibes! I genuinely love the whole aesthetic of the pumpkins, skulls, spiderwebs, ghostly images, dark colors, the works – plus, mixing it all in with themes from my favorite season, i.e. crunchy red and orange leaves, early sunsets and long, foggy nights… Yeah, it’s all just perfect and makes me feel so incredible cozy and at home.
(image from unsplash)
— destiny ♥
twitter | booktube | bookstagram | facebook | goodreads