It’s time for a weekly check-in!
This post is super overdue because January has been wild since my last weekly check-in! 😅 As many of you know, on January 13th, we decided very abruptly to drive up to upstate New York to check out a home we were interested in. It was about a 15-hour drive each way (we drove up Friday night, stayed in a hotel Saturday night, came back Sunday), and the trip unfortunately taught us more about where we do NOT want to move than anything else.
We knew it was going to be cold, but I don’t think we realized how different (read: wet and slushy) the cold would feel from what we’re used to! While the rest of the year is humid AF in Georgia, our winters are pretty dry, so the cold doesn’t settle into your bones quite the same way. Though the part of NY we visited was technically only 10 degrees colder than it was at home, it felt 30-40 degrees colder. Between that and some other things, it was a unanimous family decision to abort the NY moving mission.
That said, the change in plans apparently lit a fire under our asses to renovate the home we’re already in, because it’s been pretty much a constant whirlwind of home renovation work since we got back! I have done so much painting, it’s unreal, and we’ve only done half the house so far (we still have several rooms to paint, new flooring to put in the kitchen, and a bunch of little jobs here and there left to work on). I guess we all sort of realized that, if we’re going to stay in Georgia longer than we planned to, we might as well make the most of it. It’s been expensive and exhausting, but a lot of fun and things are really coming together nicely! 🥰
With everything going on, I haven’t gotten to read much this month. Don’t let this list deceive you, because keep in mind that it’s everything I’ve read in almost three weeks and most of these are super short reads! I’ll call it now: Episode Thirteen and The Dismembered will both most likely end up on my “favorites of 2023” lists. They were both phenomenal and I recommend them 100%!
- Famine // Laura Thalassa ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
- Something Akin to Revulsion // Judith Sonnet ⭐
- The Tiger Came to the Mountains // Silvia Moreno-Garcia ⭐⭐⭐
- Episode Thirteen // Craig DiLouie ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Ark // Veronica Roth ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
- Doctor Ice Pick // Claire Prentice ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- The Dismembered // Jonathan Janz ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Since one of my 2023 goals is to read 6 or less books concurrently, I’ll keep using this section to show all of my current reads until I can get down to that number (and maybe afterward, too, since having the limit would make this section shorter again lol).
📚 current reads 📚
- House of Earth and Blood // Sarah J. Maas → 71%
- Wolfsong // T.J. Klune → 42%
- Kingdom of the Cursed // Kerri Maniscalco → 23%
- Empire of the Vampire // Jay Kristoff → 4%
- The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires // Grady Hendrix → 35%
- Alice // Christina Henry → 23%
- Swordheart // T. Kingfisher → 16%
- The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue // V.E. Schwab → 15%
- Book Lovers // Emily Henry → 47%
- The Assassin’s Blade (RE-READ) // Sarah J. Maas → 66%
- From Blood and Ash // Jennifer L. Armentrout → 15%
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck // Mark Manson → 17%
📚 total current reads: 12 📚
I haven’t really had time to watch or play anything lately, except we did rewatch the first part of IT so we can finally watch Chapter Two soon!
Heads up: you can always friend me on Letterboxd if you wanna see my movie mini reviews!
What are you reading right now, or what did you recently finish? Is anything exciting happening in your life? Let me know in the comments!
— destiny ♥