It’s time for a weekly check-in!
The fact that this post is going up a day late AND a few hours later than my normal schedule time is a pretty fitting example of how my week has gone. It’s been a bit of a doozy — nothing BAD, just a stressful, busy week so far. I’m off today, though, so I’m hoping to spend most of it relaxing.
On a happy note, our oldest cat Lyric (she’s 7) went to the vet for preventative labs this week and a check-up, and got a perfectly clean bill of health! After losing Lotus, we’ve been worried about Lyric (they were close to the same age), so it was a big relief to get that good news. ♥
^ one of my favorite pictures of Lyric, courtesy of my spouse!
2 DNFs in one week didn’t feel like a great start to the month, but I read a novella from a new-to-me author that was AMAZING, so I consider it a net win.
- Anybody Home? // Michael J. Seidlinger (DNF review)
- This was one of my most anticipated releases of the year, so I’m VERY sad to have DNFed it. 🙁
- Wash Day Diaries // Jamila Rowser & Robyn Smith (review)
- This was okay! Cute, but I had issues with the mental health rep in it.
- Stargazers // L.P. Hernandez (RTC)
- I LOVED this so much and am hoping to post a full review tomorrow!
- This is How You Lose the Time War // Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone (DNF review)
- Listen, nobody is as surprised or as bummed as I am to say that this didn’t work for me AT ALL.
It doesn’t look like I made a ton of progress, but I’m actually incredibly proud of myself because yesterday, I sat down and picked up several of the books from my current reads and read at least a few chapters in each one! It was a really fun little “challenge” for myself, so I’m going to try to do it again today and tomorrow, or maybe every day for the next week, and see how many of these I can finally get finished!
- The Shadow of the Gods // John Gwynne → 20%, last updated July 6
- A Court of Silver Flames // Sarah J. Maas → 11%, last updated July 6
- Hide // Kiersten White → 5%, last updated May 9
- Screams From the Dark // edited by Ellen Datlow → 61%, last updated July 6
- Hell Followed With Us // Andrew Joseph White → 11%, last updated June 20
- Book Lovers // Emily Henry → 29%, last updated June 26
- Book of Night // Holly Black → 9%, last updated July 6
- Broken Beautiful Hearts // Kami Garcia → 9%, last updated June 27
- Square³ // Mira Grant → 27%, last updated July 6
- Just Like Mother // Anne Heltzel → 4%, last updated June 28
- A Taste of Gold and Iron // Alexandra Rowland → 6%, last updated June 29
- Vespertine // Margaret Rogerson → 20%, last updated July 1
- The Dead Romantics // Ashley Poston → 45%, last updated July 1
I think the gaming slump has passed pretty quickly! I haven’t been in the mood for a ton of gaming, but I have been playing some House Flipper this week while listening to audiobooks and it’s been really lovely to work on the Pets DLC some more. I’ve also been playing a little bit of Powerwash Simulator — those 2 games are my favorite games for unwinding, so it’s not surprising that I went back to them during a stressful week. 😅
What are you reading right now, or what did you recently finish? Is anything exciting happening in your life? Let me know in the comments!
— destiny ♥