It’s time for a weekly check-in!
This week has been rough, honestly. My work hours were cut in half (Idk yet if it’s temporary or permanent), my mom’s puppy got bitten by some sort of venomous spider or snake and had a terrible reaction (he’s fine now, thankfully, but it was scary!), the kittens got spayed last week and I was a horrible bundle of anxiety, and mental health has been rough going between all of the above plus some chronic illness and chronic pain flare-ups. Needless to say, I’m worn out. 😭 I’m ready to say goodbye to July! Hopefully August will be better, especially since the running joke in our home is that August 1st is “Halloween 1st”. 😂🎃 I need the spooky season, please!
The good news: I read a decent amount over the past week! The bad news: two of my reads over the last week were highly anticipated books featuring some of my favorite horror tropes, and both of those books bombed. 😂
- Cryptid Club // Sarah Andersen ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Strangers // Michaelbrent Collings ⭐⭐
- Men, Women, and Chainsaws // Stephen Graham Jones ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Hell Followed With Us // Andrew Joseph White ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
- Kill River // Cameron Roubique ⭐⭐
While I did read a good bit over the past week, almost none of it came from this list. Oops. 😅
- The Shadow of the Gods // John Gwynne → 22%, last updated July 14
- A Court of Silver Flames // Sarah J. Maas → 11%, last updated July 6
- Book Lovers // Emily Henry → 29%, last updated June 26
- Book of Night // Holly Black → 13%, last updated July 14
- Just Like Mother // Anne Heltzel → 7%, last updated July 14
- A Taste of Gold and Iron // Alexandra Rowland → 14%, last updated July 14
- Vespertine // Margaret Rogerson → 24%, last updated July 14
- 20th Century Ghosts // Joe Hill (RE-READ) → 22%, last updated July 10
- Darling // K. Ancrum → 6%, last updated July 18
- Waking Gods // Sylvain Neuvel → 22%, last updated July 22
We needed some calming TV in our house this week, which meant a lot of hours re-watching old episodes of Cutthroat Kitchen! It’s always been one of mine and my spouse’s favorite comfort shows for some reason. Does anyone else have unusual comfort shows? ♥
What are you reading right now, or what did you recently finish? Is anything exciting happening in your life? Let me know in the comments!
— destiny ♥