It’s time for a weekly check-in!
I didn’t do a check-in post last week, so I have TWO weeks of updates for you! July was a jerk all the way to the end, but August has thankfully been so much better thus far (*knocks on wood*). We went on the 1st to trade in our little bitty Kia Rio for a Nissan Pathfinder, and while the process of buying it was kind of a nightmare, I’m SO happy with our decision. It’s such a comfy ride and is just a million times better for our family, especially since we tend to go on outings with my parents a lot (4 adults plus a very tall 6-year-old do NOT fit comfortably in a tiny sedan lol).
Also, the kittens have healed up GREAT from their surgeries, my mom’s puppy is finally mending up well after his mysterious snake bite incident from a couple of weeks ago, and the weather is cooling off a little! I mean, it’s still in the high 80s and low 90s most afternoons, but it’s getting down to the high 60s at night, which gives our house a chance to cool off and makes everything SO much more bearable.
It felt like I read a lot more over the past two weeks, but I guess that’s because it was a bunch of short reads! I 5-starred almost all of them, so that’s pretty exciting ♥
- Darling // K. Ancrum ❌DNF❌
- In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories // Alvin Schwartz 🔁re-read ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Strange Planet // Nathan W. Pyle ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Stranger Planet // Nathan W. Pyle ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Every Poem a Potion, Every Song a Spell // Stephanie Parent ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (REVIEW)
- SPYxFAMILY, Vol. 2 // Tatsuya Endo ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- SPYxFAMILY, Vol. 3 // Tatsuya Endo ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- SPYxFAMILY, Vol. 4 // Tatsuya Endo ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Girls From the County // Donna Lynch ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (REVIEW)
This list has become utterly unmanageable again, but for some reason, right now, I’m feeling pretty okay with it. 👀 Honestly, I feel like I’m living my best reading life lately!
- The Shadow of the Gods // John Gwynne → 22%, last updated July 14
- A Court of Silver Flames // Sarah J. Maas → 11%, last updated July 6 (ON HOLD until finishing House of Earth and Blood)
- Book Lovers // Emily Henry → 29%, last updated June 26
- Book of Night // Holly Black → 13%, last updated July 14
- Just Like Mother // Anne Heltzel → 7%, last updated July 14
- A Taste of Gold and Iron // Alexandra Rowland → 14%, last updated July 14
- Vespertine // Margaret Rogerson → 24%, last updated July 14 (ON HOLD until finishing House of Earth and Blood — same buddy read partner!)
- 20th Century Ghosts // Joe Hill (RE-READ) → 22%, last updated July 10
- Waking Gods // Sylvain Neuvel → 50%, last updated July 31
- Little Eve // Catriona Ward → 24%, last updated July 29
- What Moves the Dead // T. Kingfisher → 41%, last updated July 30
- The Radium Girls // Kate Moore → 21%, last updated August 3
- The Ghost That Ate Us // Daniel Kraus → 10%, last updated July 31
- The Haunting of Leigh Harker // Darcy Coates → 14%, last updated August 3
- Beautiful Atrocities // Ross Jeffery → 22%, last updated August 6
- You’re the Only One I’ve Told: The Stories Behind Abortion // Meera Shah → 48%, last updated August 8
- House of Earth and Blood // Sarah J. Maas → 34%, last updated August 9
We’ve mostly been on a nature documentary kick in our house the past couple of weeks! My son (who’s 6) has taken an interest in animal documentaries, so we’ve been watching stuff like The Hidden Lives of Pets on Netflix. Aside from that, we re-watched Spider-Man (2002) a couple of nights ago, which was hilarious. I hadn’t seen it in SO long and had forgotten how cheesy it was, but it was fun. (I still say Andrew Garfield is the best Spidey)
What are you reading right now, or what did you recently finish? Is anything exciting happening in your life? Let me know in the comments!
— destiny ♥