It’s time for a weekly check-in!
Whoops, is it really Friday and I haven’t posted anything on my blog all week? Yikes! Given that I have a million tags to catch up on AND lots of reviews I need to post on here, I’m not proud of that haha. It wasn’t even a matter of not feeling up to it; it was just one of those weeks where time totally eluded me. I think it’s because this is my first full week on my new work schedule (working short shifts Mon-Fri instead of my previous schedule of 3 long shifts and working weekends), and any kind of major change to my daily routine always throws me off. Isaac starts homeschooling for 1st grade on Monday, too, so I’m sure next week will be just as chaotic for my brain, if not more so. 😅 Wish us luck!
I finished a couple of buddy reads this week (Waking Gods & Little Eve) and they were so good!
- What Moves the Dead // T. Kingfisher ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Waking Gods // Sylvain Neuvel ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- The Graveyard Book, Vol. 1 // Neil Gaiman ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- You’re the Only One I’ve Told // Meera Shah ⭐⭐⭐
- Little Eve // Catriona Ward ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Okay, the overwhelm is kicking back in, so I REALLY need to make a lot of progress on this soon. 😅 I have two books that are “on hold” until finishing other current reads, so I removed those from the list for now.
- The Shadow of the Gods // John Gwynne → 22%, last updated July 14
- Book Lovers // Emily Henry → 29%, last updated June 26
- Book of Night // Holly Black → 13%, last updated July 14
- Just Like Mother // Anne Heltzel → 7%, last updated July 14
- A Taste of Gold and Iron // Alexandra Rowland → 14%, last updated July 14
- 20th Century Ghosts // Joe Hill (RE-READ) → 22%, last updated July 10
- The Radium Girls // Kate Moore → 21%, last updated August 3
- The Ghost That Ate Us // Daniel Kraus → 10%, last updated July 31
- The Haunting of Leigh Harker // Darcy Coates → 19%, last updated August 15
- Beautiful Atrocities // Ross Jeffery → 22%, last updated August 6
- House of Earth and Blood // Sarah J. Maas → 43%, last updated August 18
- Kingdom of the Wicked // Kerri Maniscalco →52%, last updated August 18
I watched a few horror films over the past week: one I hadn’t seen since its release (Ginger Snaps), and two I hadn’t ever seen at all: Night of the Living Dead (1968) and Lake Placid. I love finally watching older horror flicks I haven’t seen before but have always heard about, and getting to see what the hype is about. It was really neat to go so far back into the zombie genre and see one of the original takes on it. I have a whole list on Letterboxd that I’m compiling of older (pre-1990ish) horror flicks I need to watch or re-watch, so if you have any favorites to recommend, please do!
What are you reading right now, or what did you recently finish? Is anything exciting happening in your life? Let me know in the comments!
— destiny ♥