It’s time for a weekly check-in!
Me last week: “I’m gonna spend the rest of September focusing on self-care and working on my hobbies!”
My immune system: “lol ya sure”
I got sick AF with a head cold several days ago and it threw me for a freakin’ LOOP, you guys. 😭 I kept worrying it was COVID, but we all tested negative, thankfully. It was rough, though! I guess it probably felt worse than it was because I hadn’t been sick in so long, but I’m finally feeling mostly human again today, which is why this check-in post is going up so late!
How to Sell a Haunted House is probably my new favorite Grady Hendrix title and likely will end up in my top 5 favorite reads of the year. It was SO good!
I did unfortunately DNF Black Sheep, but it was definitely a “me” issue as I’ve just gotten a little burnt out on cult horror lately. I’ll probably pick it back up sometime!
(Also, a little confession here is that I’m technically not done with Tangling With Trolls, but I only have a few pages left and I wanted to hurry up and post this. 😂)
- Schrader’s Chord // Scott Leeds → ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- How to Sell a Haunted House // Grady Hendrix → ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Small Spaces // Katherine Arden → ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (re-read)
- Plastic Monsters // Daniel J. Volpe → ⭐⭐
- Black Sheep // Rachel Harrison → DNF
- Tangling With Trolls // Hazel Mack → ⭐⭐⭐
📚 current reads 📚
Okay, I didn’t quite get this back down to my 6 read limit by this week’s check-in, but I got really freaking close!
- Out There Screaming: An Anthology of New Black Horror // Jordan Peele → 25%
- Never Whistle at Night: An Indigenous Dark Fiction Anthology // Shane Hawk & Theodore C. Van Alst Jr. → 25%
- Starling House // Alix E. Harrow → 21%
- Off Season // Jack Ketchum → 23%
- Rule of Wolves // Leigh Bardugo → 49%
- Drowning // T.J. Newman → 16%
- Dead Voices // Katherine Arden → 46%
We started watching the new One Piece live-action adaptation this week and we’re only a few episodes in, but I love it. I tried watching the anime as a teen and didn’t like it, but it works great in this format, mainly because Iñaki Godoy is the PERFECT Luffy!!! I love him so much and he’s precious!
Feel free to friend me on Letterboxd if you wanna see my movie mini reviews!
What are you reading right now, or what did you recently finish? Is anything exciting happening in your life? Let me know in the comments!
— destiny ♥