It’s time for a weekly check-in!
HAPPY OCTOBER, everyone! 🥳🎃 October is my favorite month for so many reasons (my birthday, Halloween, the first full month of Autumn, cooler temps, spooky movies… need I go on?!) and it’s been a good (but busy) first week. The theme park my family likes to visit has their haunted park setup starting tonight, so we’ll be going to check that out some time this weekend and I’m super excited. I just want to spend this month soaking in the spooky vibes as much as I can! 😂 Have any of you started your Halloween events yet?
What a roller coaster of a reading week! It started off really strong with some of my favorite authors, but then I hit a bit of a wall with Legends & Lattes (which was fun, but not a new fave by any means), The Woman in Cabin 10 (which I DNFed because I hated the main character!), and Maeve Fly (probably my most disappointing read of 2023 so far). I hope the next week brings back the high star ratings!
- The Ghost Tree // Christina Henry → ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- The Skull // Jon Klassen → ⭐⭐⭐⭐
- The Pram // Joe Hill → ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Ankle Snatcher // Grady Hendrix → ⭐⭐⭐⭐💫
- Dark Waters // Katherine Arden → ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Legends & Lattes // Travis Baldree → ⭐⭐⭐💫
- The Woman in Cabin 10 // Ruth Ware → ❌ DNF ❌
- Maeve Fly // CJ Leede → ⭐💫
📚 current reads 📚
I’m back down to 6 current reads, yaaaay! I swore I would do it, and I did! I started Empty Smiles last night and I’m loving it, but I’m low key devastated to see this series end. I’ve been enjoying it so much! 😭 I’m planning on finishing it and Drowning this weekend, since I’m close to finished with both of those, and Misty and I are starting a buddy read of A Dowry of Blood today! 🧛
- Out There Screaming: An Anthology of New Black Horror // Jordan Peele → 48%
- Starling House // Alix E. Harrow → 21%
- Off Season // Jack Ketchum → 23%
- Rule of Wolves // Leigh Bardugo → 49%
- Drowning // T.J. Newman → 66%
- Empty Smiles // Katherine Arden → 66%
My spouse and I watch horror movies every day in October, and we’ve had some gems so far (mostly re-watches) but I do have to give a special shout-out to last night’s movie: No One Will Save You! It’s a new alien horror film on Hulu and we both loved it. We also went to see Saw X last week and really enjoyed it!
Feel free to friend me on Letterboxd if you wanna see my movie mini reviews!
What are you reading right now, or what did you recently finish? Is anything exciting happening in your life? Let me know in the comments!
— destiny ♥