Hello, lovelies! Recently, I removed 10 popular books from my Goodreads TBR, and it inspired me to do a mass clean-out of my Goodreads TBR shelf! Naturally, if I’m going to spend the time doing it, I figured I might as well blog about it. I plan on removing a lot of books from this shelf, so I’ll probably break this up into a few posts to make it manageable.
If there’s anything in this list that you think I should KEEP on my TBR, please let me know why, and I’ll consider adding it back!
Pre-Purge TBR: 1,536
- The Disappearance — Bentley Little
❌ I like Bentley Little’s books, but this sounds boring.
- Attachments — Rainbow Rowell
❌ The more I think about it, the creepier this sounds.
- Ever the Hunted — Erin Summerill
- As Old As Time — Liz Braswell
❌ I think I’ve reached the point in life where it’s hard to impress me with B&TB retellings.
- The Wish Granter — C.J. Redwine
❌ These retellings have a neat premise, but I have a hard time feeling like I actually want to commit to reading any of them.
- The Shadow Queen — C.J. Redwine
- Passenger — Alexandra Bracken
❌ This never particularly interested me and it still doesn’t.
- Paranormalcy — Kiersten White
❌ Honestly, I don’t know if it’s because I’m still so salty over Bright We Burn or what, but I’ve lost interest in almost all of KW’s books.
- The School for Good and Evil — Soman Chainani
- What Price Gory? — Terry M. West
- The Fall — Bethany Griffin
❌ I don’t have the heart for what looks like a really poor take on one of my favorite EAP stories.
- Zodiac — Romina Russell
❌ I didn’t even know what this was about. It just had a pretty cover so I added it ages ago, I guess.
- Crawlspace — Herbert Lieberman
- The Hundredth Queen — Emily R. King
- Not Your Sidekick — C.B. Lee
❌ I love the idea of this super diverse series, but I’ve tried reading this book twice and couldn’t get into it either time, so I’m not trying again.
- The Gauntlet — Karuna Riazi
❌ A steampunk MG Jumanji retelling… I’m not as interested as I was once, sadly.
- I’m Traveling Alone — Samuel Bjork
- Amid Stars and Darkness — Chani Lynn Feener
- The Glass Spare — Lauren DeStefano
- The Arsonist — Stephanie Oakes
- Hunted — Meagan Spooner
- The Grave Keepers — Elizabeth Byrne
❌ Love this cover, but I’m going to trust friends’ reviews and the 3.2 average it has on Goodreads. 😖
- The Daemoniac — Kat Ross
- Tash Hearts Tolstoy — Kathryn Ormsbee
- Anne Frank Remembered — Miep Gies
- The Unremembered Girl — Eliza Maxwell
- Tempests and Slaughter — Tamora Pierce
❌ I didn’t realize until now that this is the 1st in its own specific series, but #8 (according to GR) in the over-arching storyverse.
- Thug Kitchen
- Thug Kitchen 101: Fast as F*ck
- Thug Kitchen Party Grub
❌ Honestly, I would’ve removed these a while back if I’d remembered that they were on here, as their whole premise makes me kind of uncomfortable. As one of my friends stated in her review, “It’s a cookbook in blackface.”
- Tess of the Road — Rachel Hartman
❌ I want to read the Seraphina books first.
- Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales — Kiersten White
- A Tail of Camelot — Julie Leung
- The Cellar — Natasha Preston
- Hoodoo — Ronald L. Smith
❌ After reading this author’s newest book, I don’t feel like his writing suits me much.
- The Bird and the Blade — Megan Bannen
❌ A lot of my friends are own-voice reviewers and hated this, which makes me hesitant to support it, plus I was spoiled for the ending and it made me much less interested in reading it.
- The Sky is Yours — Chandler Klang Smith
- Blood Rose Rebellion — Rosalyn Eves
- And She Was — Jessica Verdi
❌ I’ve seen MULTIPLE trans reviewers call this book (about a trans family member!) out for being transphobic.
- Sometime After Midnight — L. Philips
❌ Maybe a little too “cutesy rom-com” for me.
Remaining TBR: 1,496
Alright, there we have it — the first batch of purging! There’s a lot more left to go through; at sorting my shelf to show 50 books per page, I only made it to page 8 out of 30 on my TBR shelf. I can’t wait to dive back in soon and wipe out a few dozen more!